Our primary goal is to ensure Cumberland is a safe community to live, work, and play. One of the ways in which we’re seeking to do this is through the implementation of a formalized Traffic Calming Policy
This policy has been developed to establish a structured process through which the Town can respond to and address residents’ concerns regarding these traffic issues on Town maintained residential streets.
The purpose of the policy is to verify a concern once it is brought to the Town’s attention, evaluate it against set criteria, rank it against other known locations in Town, provide recommendations to address the issue and determine the effectiveness of the recommendations that are implemented.
Initial steps Include:
- Report the Problem by filling out the request form listed in the policy.
- Complete a neighborhood petition.
- Attend a Traffic Management meeting to discuss data and findings.
A traffic study measuring vehicle speed and volume has been conducted on each of the following streets. The results from those studies can be seen below.
- Abbott Run - Fieldside (PDF)
- Abbott Run IVO Glen Oaks (PDF)
- Abbott Run IVO Glen Oaks Follow Up (PDF)
- Abbott Run IVO Howard (PDF)
- Abbott Run IVO Howard Follow Up (PDF)
- Abbott Run Valley Road (PDF)
- Abbott Street (North) With-Humps (PDF)
- Abbott Street (North) Without-Humps (PDF)
- Abbott Street (South) - Without Speed Humps (PDF)
Provided here is a list of legislation proposed to the Town Council relative to the Traffic Management Group.
- Policy Adoption (PDF) - Resolution 20-29 passed on May 8, 2020
- Temporary Stop Signs (PDF) - Ordinance 20-18A passed on August 4, 2020
- Hines Road Stop Signs (PDF) - Ordinance 20-29, approved January 6, 2021
- Codifying Existing Stop Signs (PDF) - Ordinance was passed by the Cumberland Town Council on July 21, 2021
- As part of Cumberland’s Traffic Calming Initiative, this ordinance provides legal backup to existing stop signs placed throughout the Town in order to make them enforceable by the Cumberland Police Department.
- Reservoir Road Speed Humps (PDF) - Resolution 22-30, approved May 4, 2022