The 2016 Cumberland Comprehensive Plan was adopted by the Cumberland Town Council on June 15, 2016 and recieved State Approval by the Rhode Island Division of Planning on April 19, 2017. The Comprehensive Plan is the foundation of all local planning in Cumberland.
A Comprehensive Plan is necessary to form a rational basis for the long-term development of a municipality. Comprehensive Planning is needed to:
- Provide for protection, development, use, and management of our land and natural resources;
- Promote the appropriate use of land;
- Provide for the coordination of growth and the instensity of development with provisions for services and facilities;
- Provide a basis for the muncipal and state initiatives to ensure all citizens have access to a range of housing choices, including the availability of affordbale housing for all income levels and age groups; and
- Recognize and address potentially conflicting land use as well as shared resources in contiguous municipalities and encourage cooperative planning efforts by municipalities
In the links below, you can download the full copy of the 2016 Cumberland Comprehensive Plan as well as individual copies of all of the maps associated with the Plan.